Signs of the End Times? Fearful Sights of Terror
By Dianne E. Butts –
In Luke 21:11, as Jesus was telling His disciples about the End Times, He said, “There will be great earthquakes, famines, and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.” According to the booklet, 101 Last Days Prophecies, published by Eternal Productions, “The Greek word translated fearful is phobetron, which can also be translated terror” (p. 6).
Do you think the terrorist attacks on America on September 11, 2001, were signs of the End Times? Some people do. Have you read the book The Harbinger? It’s written as fiction, but it details events that have actually taken place in America starting with 9/11.
According to the author, Jonathan Cahn, several prophecies have occurred in America since 9/11. He bases this on one rather obscure verse in the Bible, Isaiah 9:10:
“The bricks have fallen down,
but we will rebuild with dressed stone;
the fig trees have been felled,
but we will replace them with cedars.”
Does that look like multiple prophecies to you? Well it didn’t to me at first either, but then I started searching the internet for more information. I found interviews with the author of The Harbinger, Jonathan Cahn. Then I read the book. It’s fascinating! Here’s some of what I learned:
• The day after the Attacks on America on September 11, 2001, then-Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle gave a speech in which, he quoted the above verse, Isaiah 9:10 in order to encourage Americans. However if you back up and read the verses leading up to verse 10, you can see it is not an encouragement but pure defiance against God. The previous verses say:
“The Lord has sent a message against Jacob;
it will fall on Israel.
9 All the people will know it—
Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria —
who say with pride
and arrogance of heart,
10 “The bricks have fallen down…(Isaiah 9:8-10a, emphasis mine).
• Three years later on the third anniversary of 9/11, then-Vice Presidential candidate Jonathan Edwards gave a speech in honor of 9/11 and he quoted Isaiah 9:10.
• A “dressed stone” was laid as the corner stone of the new building at Ground Zero.
• On the corner of Ground Zero, there stood a tree that was knocked down during the events of September 11, 2001—a sycamore (fig).
• A tree has been planted to replace the sycamore tree—a cedar.
• The church at the corner of Ground Zero was the very church where George Washington prayed dedicating America to God as his first official act as our first president. Though all the other buildings around it were destroyed, this church stands with relatively little damage, except for a crack in its foundation. Has the foundation of our nation cracked? How long before it crumbles?
• The church at the corner of Ground Zero originally owned the land on which the Twin Towers were built.
• On September 29, 2008, the Dow Jones plummeted 777 points, losing 7% of its value. Seven is the number that represents God. On the Jewish calendar every 7th year, the Shemittah year, land is supposed to rest with no crops planted or harvested and debts are cancelled. The people were to trust God with their finances. This occurs on the last day of the Shemittah year. Any guesses what the date on our calendar was of the last day of the last Shemittah year? That’s right. September 29, 2008.
There’s more, but you get the idea. What do you think? God is clearly sending us a message. Are these events signs of the End Times?