Learn How to Eat Out Without Widening Out!
By Julie Morris –
We are all sooo busy these days and it’s easy to shovel down fast food when we’re exhausted. Over 25 percent of Americans consume fast food every day. Not all fast food is unhealthy, but most of it is. Do you want to learn some quick tips so you can develop the art of eating out without widening out?
- Almost all fast food restaurants have nutritional info on their websites. Check them out and make a healthy choice before hitting the drive-thru.
- Don’t super-size!
- Ask them to hold the cheese.
- Stay away from sugary soft drinks.
- Limit sauces such as mayonnaise, tartar sauce or salad dressing. Order sandwiches without them or on the side so you can add your own. Choose low-fat or reduced-fat options when possible.
- Salads are usually a healthy option, especially with a low-fat dressing.
- Limit fried foods. Choose items that are grilled or baked.
- Order from the kids’ menu. The portions are smaller, and you can usually make substitutions.
- Get a to-go box to bring half of what you order home.
- Choose from the items labeled as “healthy” or “light.”
Here are a few of the worst fast foods. (Keep in mind that most people aim to eat less than 2,000 calories a day.)
- Hardee’s Monster Thickburger 1420 calories
- Dairy Queen’s Large Choc. Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard 1320 calories
- Burger King’s TRIPLE WHOPPER Sandwich With Cheese 1230 calories
- McDonalds’ Deluxe Breakfast 1140 calories (not including butter and syrup)
- Arby’s Meatball Toasted Sub 1000 calories
The following are some lower-calorie fast food options:
- Burger King’s Whopper Jr. 290 calories.
- McDonalds’ Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad 220 calories with Newman’s Own Low- Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing 40 calories
- Panera Bread Banana Nut Muffin 230 calories with fruit cup 70 calories
- Subway’s 6 grams or less menu sandwiches 330 calories or less (hold the cheese) with honey mustard select sauce 28 calories
- Taco Bell’s Fresco Style Chicken Ranchero Taco 170 calories or Bean Burrito 350 calories
- Wendy’s Mandarin Chicken Salad 170 with Fat-Free French dressing 80 calories
- Chick-fil-A Icedream Cone 140 calories
Whether you’re eating by yourself, with your children or friends who are watching their weight, make a game of finding the biggest fast-food “bargain.” Develop the art of making healthy choices no matter where you are, and you’ll be able to eat out without widening out!