Jesus’ Words Help Us in Our Battle to Lose Weight
By Julie Morris –
Before I lost my weight for the last time, I couldn’t understand what Jesus’ words meant, but I do now. In John 6:35, Jesus says, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry.”Here’s a meditation I wrote not long ago about this Scripture.
Thank you so much for making this promise in John 6:35 a reality in my life. I remember my years of confusion and doubt, when I couldn’t understand what these words meant. You said that if I would come to you, I’d never go hungry, but that seemed like a broken promise! I went to you. I asked you to make me thin. I cried day and night telling you about my hunger and failed diets. But after asking for your help, I’d reject it. Instead of clinging to you, I’d go to the kitchen to try to fill my emptiness. Only the food was never enough.
Then I learned what it really means to come to you:
- It means that I will come to you every day. I won’t allow myself to say I’m too busy to spend a few minutes to pray, study your Word and rejoice in your promises.
- It means I will come to you with praise and adoration, not complaining and wallowing in self-pity.
- I will come to you humbly asking for your help, not belligerently telling you what I want you to do.
- I will come to you throughout the day when I’m hungry and it’s not time to eat. I will remember that you are my Bread of Life and I don’t have to eat at that moment to feel satisfied.
- I will come to you at mealtimes and pray to be satisfied with the healthy foods before me.
- I will come to you when I’m tempted to overeat, pray for your help and then do what I know you want me to do, even though it’s not what I want at the moment.
- I will come to you during the day if I’m upset and ask you to show me what to do. I will deal with my problems instead of ignoring them and stuffing my emotions down. I will turn to you–not food–to calm my nerves.
Thank you that 25 years ago I lost my harmful extra pounds when I began discovering these and many other practical ways to come to you to satisfy my hunger. And I know that I will continue to keep my weight off as I do these things…one day at a time.
Julie Morris is the founder of Step Forward (www.stepforwarddiet.com) a Christian weight-loss program, and Guided By Him (www.guidedbyhim.com) a lighter and easier version of Step Forward. She would love to hear from you if you struggle with overeating as she did for so many years (email@example.com). © 2010